Re: Application monitoring

От Jeff Bohmer
Тема Re: Application monitoring
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I can't offer info about monitoring for break-ins or other malicious
activity.  But if you're looking for monitoring a site/database to
see that it's up and working properly, there are many, many options.

Here's a product I've used to monitor an extremely complex site at a
financial company (expensive, but works well):
http://www.mercuryinteractive.com/products/sitescope/

I've heard good things about this software, but haven't used it:
http://www.nagios.org/

We use this software at my current job (works OK, nothing special):
http://www.maxum.com/PageSentry/

There are also services that will monitor sites for you.

- Jeff

>Hi all:
>
>We maintain a number of web-based applications that use postgres as
>the back end. We recently had an unfortunate situation where the
>hosted server was hacked and the client had some significant
>downtime. We proposed a custom monitoring app, written in PHP, that
>would periodically monitor (for example) the web server  (Apache)
>and database (postgres) so that we'd know more quickly when
>something happened.
>
>The client responded that surely this problem of monitoring a
>database-backed web app was a known, solved problem, and wanted to
>know what other people did to solve the problem.
>
>So my question, hopefully not too off-topic: if you administer a
>mission-critical postgres install that needs high availability, what
>do you do for monitoring? Commercial, freeware or open source tool?
>Custom scripts? Anything I haven't thought of?
>
>-- sgl

>Steve Lane
>
>Vice President
>The Moyer Group